Saturday, June 30, 2012

And I'm free!

Today I was released from the Hotel Swedish. Although this was a little bittersweet as I can't just wander down the hall to see sweet Maisie whenever I like, I was thrilled to see my little man James for the first time since delivery four days ago.

I had hoped to be here on bed rest into August but the little dragons had other plans. I'm trying not to feel guilty about that - but apparently I'm hormonal and not in control. Today I had a meltdown over underwear and locked myself in the bathroom. I figured it was safe to come out when I realized I had been behaving like a 5 year old in self-induced time out. I am lucky my family puts up with me.

The year of 2012 has definitely been a tough one on my family and I. I've been out of sorts pretty much the whole time, and they've been taking care of me in every sense of the word. I've had two major gastrointestinal illnesses (thanks Celiac and Norovirus) along with the typical pregnancy stuff. I was on moderate restriction and stopped driving at 12 weeks, strict bed rest from 17 weeks, and hospital bed rest at 26 weeks. When I get back into the real world, I will likely need several kinds of therapy.

In this time I've had personal chefs (Jimmy, Mom, Mommy Kathy, Jim, Aunt Joanna, Michelle, Aunt Debbie, Ashley, and more), personal housekeepers (Jimmy, Mom, Erica - she even scrubbed my shower with vodka - hugs to her!), personal groundskeepers (Jimmy, Mom, Dad, baby Giblet), maintenance guys (Dad, Jimmy), babysitters (Michelle, Mommy Kathy, Victoria, Erica), locksmiths (Dave x2), chauffeurs and valets (Mom, Jimmy, and countless guys at Swedish hospital), and entertainment providers (Janet, Brian, Debbie, David, Rachel, Erica, Michelle, the Finches, Victoria, Emily, Angie, Joe, Bullet Inc, and the rest of our friends and family). I should also mention our employers - Jimmy and I work for the most amazing people who have helped us on this crazy journey and have not fired us yet *knock on wood*. Their flexibility, empathy, and willingness to help out these little dragons will not be forgotten.

Today is the beginning of the rest of 2012. I'm going to focus on healing from major abdominal surgery, the craziest pregnancy filled with stress / bed rest / muscle atrophy, and two amazing little dragons that didn't quite give me stretch marks or twin skin. And I'm going to try to keep it together and not go crazy Mommy Dragon on people. I might throw our cell phones off of a building if it weren't the only way the NICU's could get ahold of us.

Thanks to everyone who got us here. We could not have done it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment