Friday, October 26, 2012

Fast forward four months

On June 26th it was over one hundred degrees and we finally got an afternoon of rain. On October 26th, we've had our first official snowfall and are fast approaching the holidays. A little over four months ago, I said goodbye to my bird-feeder and living room window view that I'd been stuck watching for over two months and moved into Swedish Medical Center.

Now, the leaves on our trusty front yard trees have all dropped and those birds are heading south for the winter. Once upon a time I had to put my hectic and busy life on hold for the sake of keeping our babies inside, reduced to watching the pollen collect on the pine tree branches and keeping up with way too much TLC on TV. Since June 26th, our lives have been frenetically busy with recovering, working full time, and of course, caring for our little dragons. I have not a minute of free time to watch the trees, birds, or TLC. What a difference a few months makes.

***
This whole experience has been eye opening, challenging, frustrating, wonderful, beautiful, rewarding. Our children are simply amazing. We've made friendships and met people that I will feel lost without - as I've spent the last four months with them and they've spent the last four months putting up with me. And truth be told, I can be a huge pain in the you know what - but so can my children - so we have to stick together.

With an end in sight to this whole NICU experience I wouldn't change anything for the world. I'm so happy with the care we received, especially from our primary nurses M, J, and H. They have kept us and our families sane when this crazy train seemed to be going off the tracks. They are the ones who made the most impact on our little dragons; set them up for success, fought for them and loved them like their own children.

Someday the NICU will be a distant memory... someday very soon. I'm not going to say when because I don't want to jinx the situation. However, as soon as baby James is in his car seat and broken out of jail PSL you can be certain that you all will be the first to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment