Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Memories

This time of year has been heavy on the memories. A year ago tomorrow I checked in to Swedish for bedrest, hoping to be there for the long haul. The babies had other plans.

Last summer was miserably hot. We purchased a portable evaporative cooler to take the edge off and it was helpful. When Jimmy brought it home I remember being thankful for his insistence that we do something and guilty about my stubbornness. I was more concerned about managing our strict budget than my personal comfort. 

A few weeks prior to moving into Swedish, I had permanently relocated to the couch, propped up on my right side, after some scary bleeding episodes caught us off guard following the 24 week appointment. Luckily the babies were fine but at this point I'd been having issues with placental abruption for 8 plus weeks and it was taking a toll on my mental health. Bleeding with pProm is like dropping food coloring in water; it's not uncommon to lose a liter of blood tinged fluid or a half liter of frank blood. This is the normal course of pProm. 

Up until we moved into Swedish, I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to monitoring and eventually meeting the babies. We had no idea what was to come, but we were determined to stay in it to win it. And that's just what we did.

***
The little dragons are changing so fast. James is gaining more mobility, flexibility, and strength. Although not quite sitting on his own or rolling from back to belly yet, these milestones are not far away. He does a great job with tummy time, reaching, his pincer grasp, and his verbal skills. 

Maisie is very mobile and is scooting, pulling to stand, and pushing her Infant Rocker around the living room. She's taken plenty of tumbles and scared herself silly too. With all of this progress comes a huge temperament and Maisie doesn't disappoint. She has monumental 'Maisie Meltdowns' and is very frustrated by anything that doesn't go her way. 


***
A year ago we never knew that this would be our life. But it's a good one, and we are so thankful for it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment