Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A spider visited me

James was getting up early one morning, ready for his first PT appointment of the week. He was half dressed, shirtless, and walking through the kitchen with his forearm crutches when he stopped and started whimpering slightly under his breath.

I went over and asked James what was wrong, but he didn't look too distressed. I went back to getting things ready for the day. A few moments later I looked over and he had still not moved from the spot in the middle of the kitchen. Maisie was right next to him drinking some water. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened next. 

I noticed that James had a dark spot on his neck, slightly under his chin. Initially I thought it had to be leftover chocolate that we had missed from last night's dessert. That is typical James. He loves to save food for later.

Then I got down to my knees and noticed that it was a large spider about the diameter of a nickel. I screamed and swatted it off of his skin, and it flew across the room. Maisie screamed and jumped. The spider ran to hide and we didn't catch up with it again. James didn't seem too upset, and because our PT was coming soon we got dressed and went about our business. 


Later on at breakfast time, James told me "a spider visited me". I asked how the spider came to him and he said "it went down from the ceiling" and was adamant that it "did not crawl up me". Maisie, who is not a spider fan at all, did not enjoy all the talk about spiders. She's getting better after watching Harry Potter a few times but bugs in general are not her favorite. 

James, on the other hand, said the spider was friendly and said that "he tickled me and gave me kisses". That kid is always an optimist. 

2 comments:

  1. James continues to get Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy privately to help improve his gross motor, fine motor, and oral motor skills. From a gross and fine motor perspective, he is delayed due to a severe case of spina bifida occulta which has caused several muscle imbalances. Some muscles are very strong, tight (spastic), or are used too often- so we work to stretch them and encourage use of other muscles that are weaker. We also work on coordination and balance. At this time he is able to stand and walk using durable medical equipment (forearm crutches) or by cruising along furniture but is unable to do so without these.

    ReplyDelete